Cold Bay, Alaska

Monday, 09 July 2007


This was the most critical leg of our flight. Long rage over the Pacific Ocean (2375 miles), Fuel limitation and additional weight was compounded by 4 to 23 knots of head wind. But we pulled back on the power to save fuel, and landed with 1.5 hours of resaved fuel.

We got a little food for our long 2375 mile trip over the Pacific Ocean  


Since we are flying East to West, we are loosing daylight and we have to fly through the night to make it to Alaska.



We left Japan on Sunday at 1:00 pm and flow for 17 hours to get to Cold Bay . We arrived at 12:15 pm on Sunday. Our arrival in Alaska was about an hour earlier than our departure when we left Japan on the same day. It is strange to go back in time and have two Sundays in the same week.     
After flying 17 hours, we were ready to get some food and rest. But there are no restaurant in Cold Bay that has a population of less than 50   


Since there is no restaurant in Cold Bay , the fuel company owner took us to his home and made us a New Orland style dinner.   



Monday, 09 July 2007


After refueling, we continued our flight to Anchorage Alaska . It is 11;30 pm and the sun is still out.  



After clearing customs, we were ready to get a good night sleep.  It took over an hour before we could get all the paperwork completed.  



Vancouver, Canada

Tuesday, 10 July 2007


I have been waiting anxiously to get to Vancouver and see my good friend Siamak. He was waiting for us at the airport. 



We left Anchorage early in the morning. After the start up, I noticed my attitude indicator is not working. We shut down the engine to check the system. It looks like the indicator has taken it last breath. Considering my backup electric attitude indicator, we started the engine and departed without waiting another day or two to get a new instrument.


On our flight to Vancouver , We encounter extreme had wind of 40- 90 knots. Fortunately we had plenty of fuel, and after 550 miles, the wind change to a about 10 knots of tail wind.






Siamak and few other Iranian were waiting to greet us. Another guy, who’s name was also Siamak, worked at a avionic shop at the air port and offered to remove our faulty attitude indicator and install a new one before our next day departure. I am very grateful for his prompt effort for the instillation.




We had a great time at Siamak’s house with good food, drink and a good night sleep.  We also had a 30 mints interview with a Vancouver satellite TV station.


dsc03578.jpg                                   dsc03587.jpg